Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Whats Your Name ?

Thinking some more about Peter.
His birth name was Simon.  
A common first century Palestinian name. 
When Jesus first met him, he named him Cephas, 
which is Aramaic for 'rock'.
Peter is the Greek equivalent to Cephas.
"... you are Peter and on this rock I will build my church..."
Matthew 18:16
Throughout the New Testament, 
Peter was sometimes called Simon,
when referring to his mother in law (Luke 4:38)
 or his business (Luke 5:3,10)
But he was also called Simon to mark key failures in his life......
those times when he acted like his 'old' unregenerate self.
Like when Jesus was grieved at Peter's inability to stay awake
while He was praying in the Garden (Mark 14:37).
Or when Peter was proud and overconfident in Luke 22
and Jesus said to him,
"Simon, Simon, satan has demanded permission to sift you like wheat."
The last time (John 21:15-17) Jesus called him Simon
is when the disciples fished all night and caught nothing....
back on the beach Jesus asked him,
"Simon, son of John, do you love Me.?"
Three times Peter affirmed his love for the LORD.
But from that point on......Peter, the rock, lived up to his name.
He was a leader amongst the disciples, he preached the gospel fearlessly,
he boldly confronted Jewish authorities
and did not hesitate to judge sin in the churches.
Through Peter's ministry the NT church was opened to the Gentiles.

Sometimes I wonder what the LORD's name is for me....
It is written down in the Lamb's Book of Life.
"And if anyone's name was not found written in the Book of Life,
he was thrown into the lake of fire." Rev. 20:15

My parents named me Kathryn, which means"pure".
In high school I was mocked/teased and called "Polly Pure Body"
But I don't always live my life in a pure way.

Everybody calls me Kathy......but perhaps......
Perhaps some days the LORD would look at me
 and see me acting like my old regenerate self....
 and I would more appropriately be called
Greedy, or Selfish, or Critical.




1 comment:

Katie said...

My mom used to tell us every morning on our way out the door to remember what our name was... meaning "Christian". Wonder what mine really is in that Lambs Book of Life?