Sunday, January 16, 2011

Pondering on Peter

I have been thinking about Peter.  
Some call him "impetuous Peter." Meaning that he responded quickly to situations, 
often without thinking about his actions.  Hmmmm..... sometimes I do that!

When Jesus chose his disciples, he chose men who were just like you and me.  
Not perfect men.  Not men who had arrived in their 'holiness'.  
But men with flaws.  Men with personality quirks.  
Men who needed to be transformed into the image of Christ.  
Men who needed to be continually sanctified or set apart for their Master's use. 

 Jesus found Peter tending to his "fishing business" near the Sea of Galilee. 
"He said to them (Peter &  his brother Andrew),
Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men. 
Immediately they left their nets and followed Him."

That's amazing  because these two fishermen 
made their living by catching fish.
Peter had a family & a home to support.
Yet, at the call of Jesus.....
a Man whom they likely didn't know too much about,
because Jesus' ministry was just geting started,
they left their livelihood, 
all that they knew as 'normal' 
and followed Him. 

This morning I was reading in Genesis 12, 
about another man who obeyed His God. 
"Now the LORD said to Abram,
 'Go from your country and your kindred 
and your father's house to the land that I will show you....."
And in verse 4 it says, "So Abram went...".

It is beautiful to have examples like Peter & Abram,
 and many others, who obeyed the Word of God.
Not knowing what lay ahead. 
Not knowing how they would be provided for.
Not know so many things......yet they obeyed their God.

This challenges me to be aware of my obedience to Him. 
In small things.  In big things.
Know what the Word of God says.  Obey what the Word of God says.

"Search me, O God, and know my heart!
Try me and know my thoughts!
And see if there be any grievous way in me,
and lead me in the way everlasting!"
Psalm 139:23-24

No comments: